Meet Sweet Lily...and her baby....(who I've nicknamed Big Boy...because that's just what he is...BIG!) Lily came to our little home about 5 years ago...she wasn't from one of our Mama's...just a cow the Mr. had bought to fatten up and sell. So, when out popped Lily, and I saw her cute little head, big brown eyes, and then very white body...I fell in Love...and wouldn't you know it...Lily became a keeper. At first, she was really long & lanky, her bone structure a little lighter than my Mr. prefers....so, it took awhile to convince him she'd be a good one to add to our herd. But, as Lily grew and gained, she really did turn into a nice Cow...and a bonus to it all...she throws the hugest calves!!! I just LOVE Lily!!!
Well, a few weeks ago, the Boss was checking his herd, and noticed sweet Lily's back foot was swollen...as sometimes happens, he thought it might be foot rot and gave her some antibiotics....which helped it get better for awhile...and then, it got worse...way worse...so, a trip to the Vet was next on the list. The vet hoping to find an abscess could NOT find anything, so decided it must be an infection in the joint. So, she got some meds from the Vet, and he taped up her back leg to help keep it clean....poor girl, she just won't put any weight on it at all..and she's not impressed by the whole event either! Cows are really not meant to be three-legged.
Now Sweet Lily is living at home again...(but, I don't think she as happy about it as I am :D) For seven days she has had to get a shot of Banamine (which is cattle ibuprofen), then every 14 days another antibiotic shot. The first 7 days we kept her in a pen with the squeeze chute...I could tell every time she stood that it HURT. And, it would take quite awhile to actually get her down the alley into the chute...I did lots of sweet talking to say the least! After the seven days, we set her free to roam our pasture...she was very happy...but, the last few days, I've noticed she just stays in one spot...not coming when I throw out the hay...(so, you know I take it too her...), but, then I was worried she wasn't coming down for a drink...so, today, Lily and Big Boy are back in their pen....and hopefully, the antibiotic shot that is coming will work.
So, there it is...the latest Cow story at our place....and I'm oh so praying that this story has a Happy ending! Sweet blessings!
5 comments:
I'm definitely feelin' the Lily love too- and I'll be praying for that happy ending as well ;)
thanks for sharing such a sweet story... i too can lily's pain {in her foot} she is so sweet looking and her little big boy is a keeper too. hope she gets to feeling better and have a wonderful week.
Oh goodness ... Lily oh Lily!
First of all - hooray for you for taking pictures!
Second - Lily and Whitey would be friends if they knew one another :)
Third - Praying for Pat's safety and health today ... keep me posted on the "bus" adventure!
Fourth - I'm going to fix the date on your camera. :) Bring it on Friday.
Have a BLESSED day friend & know that you are one of the sweetest blessings I know ~
Awww...what a sweet story! I pray she is back in good health soon!
Lily is sooo lucky to have you!
Hope you had a wonderful day!!! :)
Post a Comment